Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Saying Good-Bye to the First Tri

I am very pleased to be nearing the end of my first trimester of pregnancy. It has not been a pleasant journey. I will not miss the fatigue or morning sickness one bit, although I will miss the special attention my husband gave me when I wasn't feeling well. He has been really great.

We officially found out we were pregnant on Saturday, January 24th when I peed on a stick in the bathroom at Wal-Mart (I did purchase the test BEFORE I used it LOL). We had suspected I was with child since conception, as I had been keeping track of my temperature and when it stayed high after ovulation, I just knew my eggo was preggo! Despite 5 negative Dollar Store pregnancy tests, we were fairly certain that we had gotten the job done.

We felt very happy and blessed to have gotten pregnant the very first month we tried. Knowing that you are knocked up so early in the pregnancy makes the first trimester seem FORever long. I swear it feels like I have been pregnant for at least 6 months already.

I had some bleeding in the first few weeks that gave us a scare. I had an ultrasound at about 6 weeks and everything appeared to be fine. I will never forget DH's face when I showed him the first ultrasound pic. He turned the picture around every which way and was like "What am I looking at". LOL! Of course, he was mostly looking at my growing uterus along with a very tiny little embryo. We proudly attached it to our fridge. DH put the Homer Simpson magnet right in the middle of the picture and I was like "you're covering up our baby's face!". Baby is much bigger now, and we are looking forward to our next ultrasound.

My first prenatal visit ended up with me passing out and throwing up all over the place when they took my blood. Since then, they have learned that I need to lay down to give blood and I cannot look at the needle, which is weird, as I have never had any problems with needles in the past. My mom says she had the same problem when she was pregnant, so I have her to thank for behaving like a 3 year old when it comes time to give blood.

My other appointments have been wonderfully routine. I do, however, have somewhat of an albatross concerning the urine sample. They send you into the bathroom to pee in a cup. There are stacks of cups above the toilet along with a marker to write your name on it. My question is, should you write your name on the cup before you pee in it or after? The first time, I wrote my name on the cup prepiss. This proved troublesome, as I got pee all over the cup and had to wipe it off which ended up blurring my information quite a bit. The second time, I decided to write on the cup post pee. This time as I was rotating the cup in my hand to get my name on it, I ended up spilling all kinds of urine out of the cup, onto the floor, onto my jeans, etc. Yuck.

Guess I have 6 more months to figure it out.

2 comments:

Beth said...

write on the cup pre-pee. then make a big TP cozie to cover it while you pee. always worked for me!!

EM :) said...

1st of all:
OHHHH MYYY GOSHH! I'm so behind, CONGRATS a thousand times over!!!!!!!

I am sooo thrilled for you guys!
Please update the blog when you can, I'd love to follow the rest of your journey!

Love ya lots. And---I almost died about the pee part. hilllarious

*EM*